| Sam and Nicky - The Little Birds bakery |
I love, love, love, cakes, I love eating them, looking at them, and just being surrounded by them. Yet I don't make them!
If you asked me to make something lovely and savoury I would do it, a gorgeous main meal with all the trimmings, an experimental tasty feast, then I am your woman!
But I'm not a cake maker, I let the experts do this!!
![]() |
| Victoria, Black forest, Bakewell |
This week I was invited to a friend Nicky's place who has launched a cake company with her friend Sam. Invite simply put, Cake testing with a cup of tea.
| Bakewell cakes |
![]() |
| Cupcakes with a difference |
My cake testing session started with a Victoria sponge cake, presented in a mini form of total deliciousness! The texture was a winner and bought about afternoon tea thoughts in my head. Sometimes I find scones a bit heavy and this to me would be a good replacement as it was about the same size but less heavy on the tum.
Next up I tasted the Black Forest gateaux, which always reminds me of being a kid, and my mum who is also a great cook but not into cake making, used to buy the shop bought Sara Lee version!! I relived it this morning but with new happier memories created something that replaces the horrid plastic shop bought version, it was a real treat and gave me a new found love for something I did not like as a child.
| Victoria sponge - a firm fav! |
I moved onto a marbled buntt cake and for me often looking at them conjures up feelings of dryness, but in reality the Little Bird cake company could not of been anymore opposite to this. The cake was moist and utterly delicious, this being one of my favourites of the selection. It surprised me so much, that I had to take a slice home for him indoors!
By this point I was feeling like my calorie limit for the year had gone, but on and up and next in line was the Carrot and pistachio cake "Oh my" I love carrot cake and the twist with pistachio was a winner its not good to mess with something that already works but this was a good decision and in this case a total winner.
The Bakewell cake was fantastic the combo of pastry and sponge really worked.
My final, and favourite of the session had to be toffee cupcake, something which tasted delicious from the outside and had a surprise hit on the inside very much reminds me of the salted caramel flavour which is on trend at the moment but a bit sweeter.
| The winning cake - Toffee cupcake |
Overall I loved all the cakes and there are many more I want to try, but I was trying not to be overly greedy but just plain greedy!
What I love the most is that they have managed to get traditional cakes, delivered on the best flavours in small gorgeous packages.
I loved every cake I tried today and I would bring them to my friends for birthdays, afternoon teas, a Tuesday.... I associate cupcakes more for kids, but for adults I would choose these instead as its something more sophisticated.
I think you would find them delicious, but also give you happy memories about all the great cakes you ate as a child.
Simply fabulous - The Little Bird bakery has a thumbs up from me!!!
If you would like to get in touch - then email Nicky on sam.nicky@littlebirdsbakery.co.uk


No comments:
Post a Comment